Thursday, November 20, 2008

I am in desperate need of a house. Why don't I have a home of my own? I am 31, gainfully employed, as is my husband...and yet we live in my parents house. With our two children, oh yes and the rest of my family.

Admitedly when we first moved in it was out of neccessity. I graduated from university in May 2006 ( a week and a half before our daughter was born) and my (then) boyfriend moved with me home to Canada from North Carolina. Since he came on a visitor's visa he was not allowed to work. We had savings, but really only enough to last 5 months...which is when I began working as a Speech Pathologist. (I love my job, but it was hard to leave my little girl at home, even though she was with her daddy.)

At the time my parents were enjoying a comfortable financial lifestyle. Fast forward to my parents current uncomfortable financial lifestyle. (No details cuz thats their life, not mine.)

Ok, now I have 2 babies and I am still working (and I love my job but I admit I wouldn't mind staying home if we could afford it) and now my husband is working too. He actually is doing quite well and is happy with his job and his salary.

We want our own home, but I feel somewhat obligated to my family to stay and help them while they are having problems. I know I'm whining and acting like a bit of a martyr, but thats really only my feelings right now, this second. There are days when I'd pack up and be out of there in 15 minutes if I had somewhere to go.

I grew up in a large extended family and I honestly like having more than 1 generation in the home. Culturally its expected. I think I just want my own space I can decorate and set up the way I want, with my rules. It seems like everything gets done by the same people. Its almost more work sometimes to get help, I feel like I would expend less energy if I was just to do it myself. I don't want to start resenting my family so maybe thats why I am thinking about moving so much lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment